12.03.2011

Public Relationships

"A friend is one the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be." -Douglas Pagels


Last night I got to thinking about friendships. It's rare to find those who have been friends since they were very young for many, many years. To me, it's natural that not all relationships or friendships last forever. Because of this, I strive to have quality relationships over quantity. I have a few of these in my family and sorority sisters, but lately I've found a few somewhere I didn't realize I would have found it.


The friends I've made in my PR major are unlike any other. And there are two main reasons for this: communication and understanding. 


As communication majors, we are very good at communicating. We know how to express our feelings  and beliefs, and do not judge or criticize others' expressions of their feelings or beliefs. We know what is important to communicate and what can be let go if not significant. And most importantly, we know how to resolve conflict. This is one of the main reasons why relationships do not have staying power, because they do not know how to survive a conflict. Issues, although rare, are solved very quickly among myself and my PR pals.


Understanding is key to building strong relationships. Public relations is a huge part of who we are as PR people. It drives what we do daily and inspires us to better ourselves for our profession. We are not simply "busy" as outside majors may perceive, but we are driven and enjoy projects that make us work hard. PR is a part of us that not everyone can understand.


I love my PR friends. They will not only be a part of my network or future colleagues, but friends for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment