10.07.2011

The Sad-mester Change

Well, I've given it seven weeks and I've officially decided that I do not like semesters. And here's my top three reasons why:

1. Ugly schedule. I am a public relations major in the Arts and Sciences college with a business administration minor in the Business college. My major courses are on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and my minor courses are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This means I have class every day. I don't really mind this, but many people love that they do not have class but two or three days a week. I would love to have this schedule so I could take on an internship or volunteer, but my schedule is just not flexible. It is making me miss out on opportunities. I also disliked the fact that my last summer break was cut short because of the semester transition.

2. More projects. Being a senior, I have larger projects and tasks in my courses. This is something I am fully capable of handling, and depending on the course, are even projects I enjoy completing. But on semesters, I feel like all the professors are handing out more large assignments, projects or papers. Do they think because we have 17 weeks that we can take on so many more? I had three due yesterday and I did complete them all, but I'm afraid that with this tremendous workload that I won't be able to give 100% to each project. This is the first semester in the transition for ONU, so hopefully professors will tweak what they assign next time.

3. Less classes. What I mean by less classes is that I am taking a third less classes than I normally would. I only have two sets of classes in a year instead of three. I love being able to take courses outside my major because I strongly believe this makes me a well-rounded student. I love the scheduling process and being able to have more options. Taking a religion or philosophy course helps feed my mind and I love that taking these types of classes gives me a break from the business or communication courses I take all the time. I love trying something new and taking these outside courses can help me discover new interests and lead me down new paths.

Is it too late to switch back to quarters?!

No comments:

Post a Comment