11.07.2011

The Job Hunt

For the longest time I didn't want to be called a "senior". I used to even be afraid to say the dreaded s-word, but now as I'm the majority through my second last semester, I'm finally accepting that the end is near. My biggest concern about being a senior was the job hunt. I know the economy isn't the best currently and I witnessed some of my really successful friends having a tough time getting a job. I knew this would be a process and as I've started this hunt, I've learned a few great things already:

1. Update that resume. Being involved in so many things has given me a lot of great things for my resume, but what I've learned is to record everything and make it as measurable as possible. I've planned and hosted events, but putting numbers to these activities is much better. I wish I had started this earlier but I am definitely trying my best and updating it all as I go.


2. Follow organizations. Like organizations on Facebook, keep up with their sites and follow them on Twitter. This helps you get to know the organization and find what organization could be a right fit for you. The organization could share job opportunities, and some even have a sign-up for job notification emails. Plus, if you keep following the organization, you'll look very knowledgable during the interview!


3. Network. Professionals and students in your network are great resources in finding jobs and job opportunities. I've met a lot of great alumni who tell me to forward my resume to them and they will send it out. Other students send me opportunities they find as well. Networking could also help push your resume to the top in certain cases. Sometimes it is all about who you know!

Hopefully I'll learn more as I get closer to finding a job. Maybe it isn't so scary!

1 comment:

  1. These are some great tips! Many organizations do post job listings and if you are in a professional organization on campus like the AMA, they also have a website where you can use your member ID to find job listings in your area for that specific area of study!

    Networking is also essential! It may not be fair, but this world is more about who you know than what you know.

    ReplyDelete