11.05.2011

With love that is ever steadfast

My favorite tradition as a Delta Zeta at Ohio Northern is Big-Little. As a new member, you compile a list of 15 girls that you would like to be your big. This list is given to the New Member Educator, and she pairs up new members with sisters. Sometimes decisions come easy when selecting a big and sometimes it doesn't, but it always seems that big-little pairs are perfect no matter what.

The bigs, trying to be as secret as possible, send notes, gifts and crafts to their littles. This drives the littles crazy, but it all seems worth it after a couple of weeks when they finally find out who is theirs. When the ceremony is complete, littles are showered with even more gifts and the picture taking commences. This can be a long process because some DZ families are very large! Mine has 13 active sisters currently and we're not even the biggest!

This tradition has been memory filled each year. Becoming a little and finally being able to call my big mine was amazing. Getting a little my sophomore was such a delight, and becoming a grand-big the next year made it all feel complete. This year, I was blessed to have another addition to our family, my great grand-little.

This truly is a great tradition and the bonds created between bigs and littles is unlike any other. To me, my big was, and still is, the best role model I could ask for. She constantly encouraged me to succeed in school, other organizations and virtually everything else! She helped me grow into who I am today. My little possess all the qualities of a great Delta Zeta. She is my confidant and my pal, always being there when I wanted to watch a Disney-Pixar movie or take some time to relax. She also provides a tremendous amount of support. These two are some of the closest sisters I have and I know they will be a part of my life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment