9.21.2011

Are you tweeting news?

Last night I checked my Twitter feed before going to bed and one headline really stood out to me. It was @cnnbrk's "35 bodies found in Mexican roadway in Veracruz during rush hour". This morning while eating breakfast, I found this story again on my USA Today iPhone app and read it.

Here's the story. It explains that masked gunmen dropped off 35 bodies along the side of a busy avenue during rush hour. Besides the horrific picture painted in my mind, what stood out the most from this piece of news is that it mentions motorists were tweeting warnings about the incident as it happened, essentially sharing the news. With social media today, are everyday people becoming journalists and breaking news on their own?

We have the power to share so much more information so much faster than ever before. With this power comes great responsibility. We must be sure to check our facts and provide accurate information. And as public relations practitioners, we must be very aware of what the public is saying about us. It may be a small world after all, but we still have to be aware of what we are communicating!

No comments:

Post a Comment