9.12.2011

Facebook in the classroom?

Today in my Microeconomics course, our professor asked the best way to use technology to contact us. He sends us weekly emails with reminders but he also heavily uses Web-ct, an online program used in lots of classroom situations. We can take exams, send messages, retrieve homework and just about any other function he needs through this program. The problem is we don't always check our email and Web-ct.

He asked for suggestions, and I've used Facebook already with two other courses, so I offered this solution. He immediately disregarded this idea. Students our age are always on Facebook. Some of us check it just as much, if not more than our email. Should Facebook be used in the classroom?

Facebook is being used in my communication courses, one of them being Social Media. I think this is quite fitting, but I think any type of class can utilize Facebook. We hold discussions, post assignments and ask our professor questions through a Facebook group created exclusively for this class. The same things we are doing with Web-ct in Microeconomics! The class is a private group and I check it right along with my other Facebook applications and posts. To me, I feel more informed about this class using this site than I do with Web-ct.

The way we communicate is changing rapidly. Social media sites like Twitter and Facebook are growing constantly. I don't see why these tools shouldn't be used only for communication. Education can benefit from these too!

To learn more about using Facebook in the classroom, here are 100 ideas to use it in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment